odie

1274 Fiddleback Maple

Completed 9/7/16. Basic bowl blank was kiln dried, and metered 12% on receipt. It measured 10% MC prior to final finish, which was about two years later. It was only weighed a couple of times during seasoning, and it lost no weight during that time. This is a "rounded bead" version, which I haven't done for a number of years.....until there was a discussion about this in the newbie forum. I like it, but I still feel the "squared bead" look is very aesthetically appealing, as well. I've decided I'll use both rounded and squared beads for this type of platter turning for the future. The size is 13 5/8" wide, and 1 7/8" tall. Weight is 535 grams, or 18.9 ounces.

1274 Fiddleback Maple
odie, Sep 15, 2016
Steve Brisco and michael alguire like this.
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Raymond Puffer
      Odie, excellent, as always. What is the finish on this one?
    • odie
      Hello Raymond.......it's my usual Watco danish oil, with the three-step Beall buff. Nothing very complicated.

Thanks for the compliment, odie......
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Gerald Lawrence
      Great look with the rounded bead
    • odie
      Thanks Gerald........Yes, I like the rounded bead, too.......don't know why I ever stopped using it. I'll be doing both the rounded bead, and the squared bead from this point forward.

odie
    • Peter Gray
      I really like your treatment on this one odie, the FB kind of radiates from the bead out to the edge
    • odie
      @Peter Gray

Hi Peter, and thanks......How goes it in NZ? :)

Fiddleback is crazy to try and capture it in photos well. By just turning the platter a small amount, the light captures the FB grain altogether differently. Of course, I do attempt to photograph the most aesthetically pleasing view.

ko
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Mike Sooley
      I have been viewing gallery photos and I find myself opening ones from Odie! I like your style sir.
    • odie
      Thanks Mike :D

ko
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    odie
    Date:
    Sep 15, 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    289.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1563px
    Height:
    890px
    Aperture:
    f/2.5
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon PowerShot S95
    Date / Time:
    2016:09:14 09:56:07
    Exposure Time:
    1/25 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    7.493 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).