odie

1374 Maple Burl (11)

Profile view. Original block of wood was KD, 10% MC, and required no seasoning......however, I did rough it out, applied no wax, and administered monthly weights.....just to see if it would lose more weight. Yes, it did! It lost a total of 20 grams over a period of 3 1/2 months. Interestingly enough, it lost those 20 grams in the first two weeks after it was roughed, and lost no more weight over the next three months. Multiple grooves centered within a raised platform is one of the "signature" styles I've been perfecting over the last couple years. Enjoy your turning everyone! -----odie-----

1374 Maple Burl (11)
odie, Sep 10, 2017
Harold Bowern and Lamar Wright like this.
    • Lamar Wright
      Beautiful Maple bowl Odie. Really like the color, fit and form of the bowl. I bought a digital scale the other day so that I can measure the MC monthly as you do. I have a good supply of green maple and hackberry. Love how you decorated the rim of the bowl. Just outstanding!
      odie likes this.
    • odie
      @Lamar Wright

Howdy Lamar.......and thanks for the comment. :)

You might want to consider also getting a moisture meter. The meter, plus the scale gives you a very good perspective on the drying process. The seasoning process could be done with a scale alone, but knowing the starting MC gives a conceptual idea of what to expect.

Happy turning, Lamar.....:D

-----odie-----
    • Lamar Wright
      @odie Hi Odie, funny you mentioned a moisture meter, I was thinking about one this morning when I saw your beautiful Maple bowl. I found a Stihl MM for $32 at Amazon. Think I'll get that one. Happy turning Odie!
      odie likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    odie
    Date:
    Sep 10, 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    115.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    705px
    Height:
    596px
    Aperture:
    f/3.2
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon PowerShot S95
    Date / Time:
    2017:04:16 14:21:02
    Exposure Time:
    1/20 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1000
    Focal Length:
    10.701 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).