• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
16" Bubinga Platter w/Carving
Jim Becker

16" Bubinga Platter w/Carving

Some time ago I posted some preliminary pictures in another forum of a 16" bubinga platter I was working on that included some carving to mask a defect. A could weeks ago I finally got it completed and "finished". Given the shop renovation in progress, I ended up top coating it with Deft lacquer (aerosol) 'cause it was easy and quick...and an outside operation, anyway due to the fumes. The plastic "holder upper" is a temporary fixture as I plan on making an unobtrusive stand from painted maple when I get the shop put back together. Since it's going in a show tomorrow along with the Big-leaf Maple Burl natural edge piece, I snapped a quick picture "just in case"...and it's shown below. The picture is poor, but I needed to be quick in taking it. (I'm going to build a simple photo booth soon based on what I learned at the AAW symposium in Orlando last month)

This is my first art show entry ever and is the annual event at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia where Dr. SWMBO works. Entrants must be employees or immediate family members and the limit is two pieces. The level of work is pretty incredible, too.
Very nice Jim. If this is how you hide defects I'm looking forward to seeing more items where you do even more carving! Good luck in the art show, this one should do well.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jim Becker
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device