• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
This segmented ball is about 5 1/2 inches in diameter and has 416 pieces. All the rings were tapered at one end before I glued them together. The base is carved out of Wenge.
Thanks, I just added some info on this piece. This was my first time using bloodwood and I really liked it. I will be using it more often.

Man O Man every time I go on here or the segmented turners site I see Balls/spheres that some one has done. and it seems they are all more extensive than ones I have done ! Yours included ! fabulous work !

oh and here is this,

The Gift of a SPHERE

It is believed, that in Ancient Greece, the gift of a Sphere was given as a gesture of acknowledgement and recognition to some one who had excelled, had been of great help, or had "Gone the Extra Mile" to reach a goal.

The Sphere, like the world carried on Atlas' shoulder, is a symbol for achievement and success well earned thru sincere and admirable dedication,

In Modern times, a Sphere is given as a gift to show appreciation for outstanding performance, and to publicly say, "Job Well Done"

I haven't checked my account in forever! Engineering school sure doesn't give me much of a chance to turn.
Thanks for the comments Dave. This piece was actually a Christmas gift to a girl I was dating a few years back... can't say I got it back when we didn't work out;)

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
David Balgaard
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device