Scott Hackler

AAW December 2011 Contest

This hollow form is turned out of curly Redwood. This was my first piece of Redwood and it was a dream to turn and finish. Such fire streaking through this wood, that it seemed electric to me. 3" wide X 5" tall, a bit over 1/8" thick walls and a little carving on the opening. Finished with 6-7 coats of wipe on poly, Beal buffed and Ren wax. I purposely under exposed this picture to try and capture the curl. Thanks and comment away.

AAW December 2011 Contest
Scott Hackler, Dec 9, 2011
    • Richard Jones
      Beautiful piece, Scott, and I love the rim treatment. Just that seemingly small thing adds such a new dimension. That looks like some spectacular wood and you certainly captured it's soul.

Really striking.

Rich
    • Lionel Mercier
      and one sees very well the curl
      a neat piece.
    • odie
      You're right.....that is a striking piece of wood!

ooc
    • Scott Hackler
      Thanks. This wood was quite the surprise. I didn't shut down the lathe until I had it completely rounded and the outside turned to final shape. When the lathe stopped, I couldn't believe the curl.
    • Ronald Campbell
      Scott great job. Yes the color of the wood is great and I like the little bit of carving at the opening. Great job
    • Scott Paris
      That is a stunning piece of redwood. Nice job!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Scott Hackler
    Date:
    Dec 9, 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    361.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    864px
    Height:
    1000px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).