1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice
Scott Hackler

AAW December 2011 Contest

This hollow form is turned out of curly Redwood. This was my first piece of Redwood and it was a dream to turn and finish. Such fire streaking through this wood, that it seemed electric to me. 3" wide X 5" tall, a bit over 1/8" thick walls and a little carving on the opening. Finished with 6-7 coats of wipe on poly, Beal buffed and Ren wax. I purposely under exposed this picture to try and capture the curl. Thanks and comment away.

AAW December 2011 Contest
Scott Hackler, Dec 9, 2011
    • Richard Jones
      Beautiful piece, Scott, and I love the rim treatment. Just that seemingly small thing adds such a new dimension. That looks like some spectacular wood and you certainly captured it's soul.

Really striking.

Rich
    • Lionel Mercier
      and one sees very well the curl
      a neat piece.
    • odie
      You're right.....that is a striking piece of wood!

ooc
    • Scott Hackler
      Thanks. This wood was quite the surprise. I didn't shut down the lathe until I had it completely rounded and the outside turned to final shape. When the lathe stopped, I couldn't believe the curl.
    • Ronald Campbell
      Scott great job. Yes the color of the wood is great and I like the little bit of carving at the opening. Great job
    • Scott Paris
      That is a stunning piece of redwood. Nice job!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Scott Hackler
    Date:
    Dec 9, 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    361.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    864px
    Height:
    1000px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).