Steven Garrison

Americas

This globe measures about 18 inches in diameter. The base sphere representing the oceans is ebonized and quartersawn red oak put together as a geodesic sphere. The states and countries are inlaid together from various kinds of wood to make the continents which are then epoxied onto the base sphere.

Americas
Steven Garrison, Jul 25, 2012
    • Glenn Barber
      WOW!!!! Amazing craftsmanship and dedication to a vision! Fan-freaking-tastic!!!!!
    • odie
      Great idea......and you carried it out exceptionally well......

ooc
    • Steven Garrison
      Thanks for the compliments, Glenn and Odie. It was a lot of fun to build with a few moments of head scratching. Hope I get to build another one soon.

Steve
    • Hal Taylor
      Wow! Talk about head scratching...I can't imagine the time involved in putting this together. Truly amazing.
    • Thomas Stegall
      I have seen a few of these over the years, but this is definitely one of the better looking ones. There is one the Chicago that I came across that is about 36" diameter, but appears to be made from veneer. This one is much nicer. Great job.
    • Steven Garrison
      Thank you. It was 7 months start to finish, but I didn't work on it every day. Sometimes weeks would go by without working on it. I only had part of it planned out that went fast and smooth, then other parts took more thought and figuring out a way how to do some things. A couple of times I started over while making the continents. I could probably do it again in two months or so.

I have also seen a few other handmade wooden globes on the internet over the past several years, but I didn't copy anybody else's methods - no veneer here. The next one I make will be bigger.

Thanks for the comments.

Steve
    • KurtB
      Amazing!

Turning of the Week, 07/30/12
      AAW Home Page Photo
    • Steven Garrison
      Wow! Thank you! I have got some other things I need to finish first, but I am wanting to build another globe with a few changes from this one.
    • gary rock
      Steven-

Congratulations on "Turning of the Week." Outstanding.

Gary
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Steven Garrison
    Date:
    Jul 25, 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    29.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    468px
    Height:
    615px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).