• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Asian Box
B

Asian Box

This box was turned following a visit to our club by Jimmy Clewes. I was totally in awe watching him turn one of these in his demonstration. The blank is turned like an airplane propeller on the lathe. I decided that I would have to try one for myself, which is the result shown. Turning this from my old memory, it did not quite turn out the same as his. His lid wings turn down instead of turning up as this one. However, the upturned wings remind me more of the upturned roofline on a Chinese pagoda. It was a fun project.

My incentive for trying this came from preparation of a 24 Sycamore bowl blanks for coring. The blanks for this turning came from either side of the pith of the log and is therefore quarter sawn. The base had wind shake shearing clear through each wing as well as the turned box in the center. Those were not repaired for turning and still are not repaired. Really had my attention at 3000 rpm! Lucky that it did not explode. The ring on the top was turned from Pecan on 2 axes with a tenon on the bottom of the ring for mounting to the box top.

The box is 12 wide by 6 high. The Sycamore was ebonized, finished with 3 coats of Waterlox and buffed.
Bill, this looks very good - and intimidating as well! Beautiful!

POD 02-27-09
AAW Home Page Photo Of the Day

Kurt, thank you for photo of the day. It is very exciting to be honored with that. It WAS intimidating - but - very fun too.
Be well,
Bill

John, Thanks. I am really excited to have it here and in the TexasTurned as well. Glad you are there to keep an eye on it.
Be well,
Bill

Howard, I am very sorry for not paying attention to your post. Thank you for your strong feeling about Asian Box. I felt the same as you did after turning it. Glad you liked it.
Bill

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Bill Pottorf
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata