Mike Gibson

Beads of Courage Box

Michael and I had a great time at SWAT last year. One of the highlights was creating our Beads of Courage box and seeing the huge response to this charity from SWAT's turners. Sadly, we can't attend this year but wanted to make a piece for this special cause. Mike had a rough turned vessel and lid waiting to be finished and decided to create a teapot box. He wanted to create a teapot large enough for a child's hand to reach inside and made the opening and lid larger. I've been "horse crazy" all of my life and thought there might be a little cowgirl who would love to have a box with a pony motif. A carousel teapot seemed perfect for this shape. I had only planned to do a bit of burning but when I got into the pattern and thought about the children, it kept going and going.... Many thanks to Johnny Tolly for delivering the piece to WACO!!! Cynthia. Turned from Pear, pyrography and Prisma Color markers, Matt Finish approx 10" x 10" Comments always welcomed.

Beads of Courage Box
Mike Gibson, Aug 19, 2012
    • Alan Trout
      Cynthia,

That is an incredible piece for a wonderful cause. It will make a child very happy. I wish you and Mike could make it to SWAT.

Alan
    • gary rock
      Mike-

You and Cynthia have a beautiful piece and some lucky little one will have a very bright day when they receive this.

Gary
    • Hal
      Cynthia, you have created a most beautiful "box". I have not seen you use colors before, and they are an absolute delight.
    • Roger Meeker
      Michael:
      As usual, an incredible piece of art. A pleasure to view.
    • Mike Peace
      Another beautiful collaboration!
    • Bill Pottorf
      Mike and Cynthia

What a wonderful box for a child to receive in the Beads of Courage. I know your donation will be well received by that child. Sure with you were attending swat this year again. Going to miss your presence.
    • Woodscaper
      WOW, over the top in talent and giving. Thanks for sharing.
    • Mike Gibson
      Thank you all for your comments.
      For all those that have never been to SWAT l highly recommend this symposium and l hope we can make it next year.
      Michael.
    • Peter Gray
      Simply beautiful Guys :)
      pete
    • odie
      Cynthia just keeps on improving.......eventually, we're going to have to invent some new words to express how good her work is getting!

Mike, your work in this is great, too....

I want you to send me some of Cynthia's DNA, so I can clone her! Ha!

ooc
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Mike Gibson
    Date:
    Aug 19, 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    165.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    857px
    Aperture:
    f/22.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D40
    Date / Time:
    2012:08:02 11:24:10
    Exposure Time:
    1/6 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    60 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).