• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Beyond Metamorphosis
Richard Kennedy

Beyond Metamorphosis

I am grateful to Cynthia Carden Gibson for her observation that this piece reminded her of Ed Kelle's work. I imagine that Ed's work wormed its way into my mind with this as did ceramicists such as Rita Miranda. I have been ruminating on this kind of design for a while after seeing images of lily pollen and some types of coral but until I purchased a foredom sr unit my rotary carver was seriously underpowered. I have also been working towards turning hollow forms with thinner and thinner wall thickness. Doing this freehand has taken some practice but I think I am making progress!A more abstract take on the tree bowls the focus is on the interaction of light with the piece. The grooved base leads in or out from the form depending on your take of it. The opening in the form suggests a release, a puncture, a burst to freedom of something.

Or maybe its just a holey piece of elm on a groovy one!

Whatever the reason this is the result! I am wanting to branch out towards some more sculptural forms as opposed to objects which retain some of their functionality. To this end this piece is one of a few attempts to break away from some of my more
standard work.

C&C welcomed as
ever
I just love the "art" of it Rchard, the interaction of the sphere to ther base is fabulous,
pete

Howdy Richard.......

After looking over your album, I can see an evolutionary process taking place. There is a definite break away from the functional, to semi-functional.......and now completely sculptural. Good luck in your search for creative satisfaction in this......your interest and enthusiasm for producing your art is apparent, and you are definitely on a journey of your choosing.

This piece is truly a great effort.......thanks for showing us.

ooc

Looks kind of like a soccer ball after too many kicks. Kidding aside, fantastic piece Richard. As usual, your attention to detail is suberb, and I'm really enjoying your journey into new horizons.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Richard Kennedy
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename