• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Black Cherry
mfoster

Black Cherry

Black Cherry leaves in Black Cherry

Black Cherry
7"D x 5"H
Bush oil
Wow Mike, this would have to be one of the most complex pieces of turned / carved art I have ever seen, the effect of layer over layer is unbelievable not to mention the detail.
Just stunning
Pete

Remarkable. I realize how much I have overused my superlatives in the past now that I'm trying to find appropriate words to describe this piece. The undercutting on the leaves is wonderfully done making the leaves look very light and delicate -- like leaves should be. The form has just the right amount of subtlety. I found myself staring at this for several minutes. I'd love to see it in person -- maybe at the AAW IG this summer?

Beautiful Mike. Your technical abilities are quite evident with this piece putting you up where few have have been. Amazing.

I rarely feel the need to post more than one comment on a piece. But this one is an exception. I have actually thought about attempting such a piece and I am sure that others have too. And I have seen many carved pieces similar to this one and a few that take this concept over the top with grape vines, clusters and leaves . But this piece could hold it's own in any arena. To begin with, the basic form is excellent with it's flowing curves and flared rim. Many turners would be pleased to achieve that much. The leaf carving is excellent and the layered effect adds a tremendous level of depth and realism. This is truly a masterpiece on many levels and I cannot help coming back to look at it again and again. It's not often that an artist hits the bullseye dead center but this is an example. A very special work in every respect.

Mike-

You ought to post the other two pictures that you posted on WoW site. Everyone would get great insite into the work and time that you did on this piece.

Gary

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
mfoster
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata