• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Black Palm HF
Keith Burns

Black Palm HF

We just returned home Sunday afternoon after a week in Colorado visiting my Daughter, SIL and five Grandsons. Had a great time but couldn't wait to get in the shop. I got this Black Palm blank at Woodcraft in Colorado Springs. It measures 3-3/4" dia. x 4-1/2" tall with ebony finial, inset and bun foot. I asked my daughter to go back and get any of these blanks they had left. They had two.
Keith
I was told that this flakes and slivers bad.....at my local store.
How'd yours work out?

Great job with a difficult piece of wood. I say bad words every time I turn this stuff, but it never fails to please in the end.

very nice, Keith, how do you decide which style of finial you use??????

Very nice.....good form with the perfect finial!! I use my metric 80 and 100 grit gouges on the outside of this wood....helps with the usual problems. All in all, it is always worth the effort, as it is a very striking wood.

Nice piece especially when palm is one of the toughest woods to turn..Is is a wood? LOL.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Keith Burns
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device