• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Blue Sundae
Mark Hepburn

Blue Sundae

Ash box with big leaf maple lid and finial. Painted with oils. Finial is india ink stained. Gloss poly finish. 10" tall to top of finial. Box about 5" tall by 2.5" diameter.

I just noticed it's out of focus. Sheesh! Going to learn to shoot manual if it kills me. :-D
Reactions: Bill Boehme
Mark, take the easy road and use autofocus. No sense in going totally cave man with the camera. :D Modern DSLR lenses aren't very friendly when it comes to manually focusing them. With the old film SLR cameras, the focusing screens typically had a micro prism design that caused focus to dramatically appear while the DSLR screens don't assist you in the least. Also the focus ring on the old film SLR lenses was nearly a full turn while the DSLR lens focus rings have about a third of a turn.

The main reason for using manual exposure is because the camera's built in exposure algorithms are hit or miss when shooting something other than typical subjects.

Instead of using a gray card for exposure, I would recommend using the subject itself.

I love the excellent form and proportions of the subject and the coloring. I also like your signature finial.

Mark there is so much to like about this piece. I really like the two parts together rather than separate photos. Your finial is unique and I love it. I can't for the life of me figure how you made it unless you steamed and bent it.

Bill, I need to learn more for sure.

I thought one had the choice of manual or using the camera's auto settings. So I'm going to dig into the manual (a nightly activity anyway) and find out exactly how to use the auto focus but still use the manual settings for exposure.

Breck, Thanks!

The finial is actually a "borrowning" of the finials I've seen on Keith Burns' work, but which I then bend. I made a small clamping jig - actually several now due to length differences - out of scrap lumber. I steam them on the stove in a skillet with a grate in it (covered) for about 1/2 an hour and then clamp it for a couple of days.

I've found that even kiln dried wood of most species will bend this small amount, but it is definitely easier with green wood, and the range of bending is far greater.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Mark Hepburn
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device