1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice
Don Leydens

Bocote Bowl

Bocote bowl with two inlays of brass powder (hard to see in the photo). 8" wide x 3" tall This was a little tricky to make as the wood will exploit any defect it can find. The sharp edges were rounder over with a router. Finished with a 70/30 percent mix of De-natured Alcohol and Shellac, then buffed with Renaissance Wax. I'm thinking of making a lid for this. I have some spalted maple and sycamore that is dry enough to use. What do you guys think? Should I leave it alone or go for it? Thanks for looking and all comments welcome, Don L.

Bocote Bowl
Don Leydens, Feb 3, 2010
    • joe pearson
      far to nice a piece to put a lid on it Don
    • Don Leydens
      Thank you, Joe. I really appreciate your input.
      Don L.
    • odie
      I like that a lot.....very good design and execution........

You rate a ten with that, Don......

ooc
    • James E Gaydos
      Very nice Don, not sure about the lid though. You could always experiment and then decide.
      Jim
    • Don Leydens
      Thanks for the input oddie and James!

Don L.
    • Clemens
      Don, I think the highly figured wood and the two lovely brass inlays do not need a lid. In fact, it may conflict with a great piece.
      Dale
    • Joe Greiner
      Awesome.

I vote "no" to a lid in different wood. "Yes" or "maybe" if you still have the other half of the log. Of course,if you still have the other half, a companion bowl might be better.
    • Don Leydens
      All good advice guys. That just tipped the scales. Think I'll move on to my next piece and leave this one alone.
      Don L.
    • Robert Manning
      It looks like the end grain polished out beautifully.
    • Don Leydens
      Thanks, Robert. I since decide to Beall buff this and it looks even better and more polished. Love that system!
      Don L.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Don Leydens
    Date:
    Feb 3, 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    59.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    500px
    Height:
    375px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).