Don Leydens

Bocote Bowl

Bocote bowl with two inlays of brass powder (hard to see in the photo). 8" wide x 3" tall This was a little tricky to make as the wood will exploit any defect it can find. The sharp edges were rounder over with a router. Finished with a 70/30 percent mix of De-natured Alcohol and Shellac, then buffed with Renaissance Wax. I'm thinking of making a lid for this. I have some spalted maple and sycamore that is dry enough to use. What do you guys think? Should I leave it alone or go for it? Thanks for looking and all comments welcome, Don L.

Bocote Bowl
Don Leydens, Feb 3, 2010
    • joe pearson
      far to nice a piece to put a lid on it Don
    • Don Leydens
      Thank you, Joe. I really appreciate your input.
      Don L.
    • odie
      I like that a lot.....very good design and execution........

You rate a ten with that, Don......

ooc
    • James E Gaydos
      Very nice Don, not sure about the lid though. You could always experiment and then decide.
      Jim
    • Don Leydens
      Thanks for the input oddie and James!

Don L.
    • Clemens
      Don, I think the highly figured wood and the two lovely brass inlays do not need a lid. In fact, it may conflict with a great piece.
      Dale
    • Joe Greiner
      Awesome.

I vote "no" to a lid in different wood. "Yes" or "maybe" if you still have the other half of the log. Of course,if you still have the other half, a companion bowl might be better.
    • Don Leydens
      All good advice guys. That just tipped the scales. Think I'll move on to my next piece and leave this one alone.
      Don L.
    • Robert Manning
      It looks like the end grain polished out beautifully.
    • Don Leydens
      Thanks, Robert. I since decide to Beall buff this and it looks even better and more polished. Love that system!
      Don L.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Don Leydens
    Date:
    Feb 3, 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    59.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    500px
    Height:
    375px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).