Peter Rand

Changing Shades of Grey

These foundlings offer many shades of grey to each other across the space between them. An observer can easily rotate each individual, changing the profiles both of that space and of the individuals, thus changing the shades of grey, a la menage a trois. The individual multiaxis pieces are finished with black gesso, which has a velvety flatness that far exceeds any other normal matte or flat finish I have found. They are mounted on suede-clad lazy-susans embedded in the base so they can be rotated, with finesse. All the lighting is very indirect and is an important part of the appearance of this couple. These images have had what little colour appears in the digital photos suppressed, and the contrast made uniform. Playing with this seems irresistible. Critiques, reactions, suggestions, always welcome.

Changing Shades of Grey
Peter Rand, May 5, 2013
    • Hal Taylor
      Neat presentation, neat observation. I can see kids using these foundlings in role playing games. Curious, where did the term foundlings come from?
    • Lionel Mercier
      after a search about the motion... about the lighting now
      curious and intersting
    • Peter Rand
      Hal - If you look back in my album you will see a bunch of turnings, "first foundlings", I made quite quickly while learning how to predict the twist in multiaxis turnings. All shown together they looked like a bunch of foundlings seeking some refuge and recognition. So the whole series of similar turnings are 'foundlings' of various sorts and combinations. Have tried to make them not look like 'people' but haven't succeeded so far!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    Peter Rand
    Uploaded By:
    Peter Rand
    Date:
    May 5, 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    168.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1000px
    Height:
    1063px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).