Gary

Coaster - Mystery wood

I picked up a 2x4 my son brought home and it was quit a bit heaver that you run-of-the-mill pine board, so I cut a piece off of it and turned it. Is it spruce or is it something from south-east Asia???

Coaster - Mystery wood
Gary, Jun 23, 2004
    • Ken Grunke
      Gary, I'd say it came from a pallet--you never know what kind of woods are used for pallets that are imported into the US. Teak, mahogany, or whatever is plentiful in the country of origin.
      For now, I'd call it "beetzme" or "dunno" wood ;-)
    • Gary
      A local Woodcraft employee who knows his wood Identified this as
      either Chinese Elm or Chinese chestnut
    • Bill Boehme
      Tell the Woodcraft guy that he flunked the wood ID test -- it is SYP (Southern Yellow Pine) which is an extremely heavy and very hard wood. Carpenters hate it because nails will usually bend if it takes more than two whacks with a hammer to drive them home. White pine is lightweight and soft. Fir is feather light and can be harder than white pine, but it loves to splinter.
      Bill
    • GuyO
      The real test : SYP will have a distinctive smell... turpentine -

there's no mistaking it... The elm or chestnut will smell totally different -- I
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Gary
    Date:
    Jun 23, 2004
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    46.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    900px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).