Andy Chen

Corian Sake set with inlay

My parents had a couple of porcelain sake sets when I was a youngster and I was impressed by their elegance. When I decided to make a set recently I thought it would be nice to inlay it, which is something I have been itching to do ever since I saw Stephen Hatcher's demo a couple of years ago. His work is so stunning and inspiring. However, I decided to use organic material instead of stone for the inlay. The tree branches are mixed saw dust from mahogany and ebony and the flowers are ground-up dried crepe myrtle flower petals mixed with white Corian powder

Corian Sake set with inlay
Andy Chen, Sep 18, 2011
    • Clemens
      I've never seen anything like this. Absolutely stunning. It's difficult to even imagine the work that went into it.
      Dale
    • Bernie Hrytzak
      This brings back fond memories of my many business trips to Japan! Was the vessel a glue-up or solid and how did you hollow-form it?
      Well done Andy!
      Bernie
    • KurtB
      Exquisite!

Turning of the Week, 09/19/11
      AAW Home Page Photo
    • Bill Pottorf
      Andy, congratulations on the cover again. This corian sake set is beyond words of praise from my mouth. Stunning is all that comes to mind. Great work Andy.
    • Andy Chen
      Thanks for all your kind words, guys and thank you, Kurt, for picking it for the Turning of the Week.

Bernie, Corian usually comes only in 1/2" sheets. The shot glasses are solid pieces glued together (in horizontal layers) and turned to shape and the pitcher is segmented. I made a template for the outside of the shots to assure unifomity. (The 8 shots weigh from 21.1 g to 22.6 g with a mean of 22.2 0.5 g.) The pitcher was turned in two halves to nearly final thickness (~3/32") before being joined together. I neglected to mention in the description that the ring on the neck of the pitcher is malachite inlaid all through the thickness of the wall. I also neglected to mention the dimensions. The pitcher is 3" d x 6" h and shots 1.75" d x 1.5" h.
    • Betty Scarpino
      Andy, these sake sets are breathtakingly beautiful!
    • charlie knighton
      very nice, congratulations TofW
    • John Van Domelen
      Awesome set Andy, after seeing these in person I was hoping you would post here for all to see. Gratz!
    • Mike Gibson
      Exceptional work, Andy! Looks even more wonderful with the additions of the design on the platter and more cups!! Loved experiencing this piece at SWAT!
      Cynthia
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Andy Chen
    Date:
    Sep 18, 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    136 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1149px
    Aperture:
    f/inf
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS D30
    Date / Time:
    2011:09:18 15:06:09
    Exposure Time:
    3/10 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    50 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).