• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Cutting board bowl (maple/walnut)
M

Cutting board bowl (maple/walnut)

I make cutting boards in this pattern and decided to turn one into a bowl. About 12"x2", finished with Waterlox.
Mike,
This is really cool. I like how the bands create a gradient effect and how the single band is a mirror image of the bands intersecting it. You obviously have way too much time on your hands!

This is very striking piece Mike. I like the contrasting gradients. Sure makes a nice bowl. For cutting boards I thought walnut was too soft in most cases.

Mike, as a chef turned woodworker turned woodturner I have done cutting boards and cutting bowls from many different woods but would never use walnut for 2 reasons, one it is a soft wood and 2 there is the toxicity of the wood to worry about. I know it is harmful to vegetation and animals so I would have to question it for human use especially since you could theoretically cut fibers of the wood off the board when you chop. Just thought you might want to research it unless you already have, I would like to know what you find out, or have found out.
BTW, it is a very striking piece.
Irish Mike

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Mike Schwing
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings