• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Deep Hollowing System
The Spin Doctor

Deep Hollowing System

I wanted to make an extremely rugged system for deep hollowing including a laser thickness guidance capability, and this is what I came up with...
What controls the torque or twisting motion? I wold think you could do away with the captured bar on the front and move it to the rear with whatever system you use to limit the twisting. I like a regular tool rest on the front because sometimes I end up with my hands there to control the cut. I love the steady rest.

Good question. There is a slot along the hollowing bar into which a cam follower bearing travels. It is this bearing that limits rotation of the bar around its long axis. The "captured tool rest" is for safety,(it is the part that fits in place of the lathe's tool post) it only is there to keep the bar from falling when it becomes tail heavy after it is pulled out of the vessel. It is not required, but is certainly nice to have.

It is funny how some turners immediately love the hollowing system and others love the steady rest. The steady is set up to work on both 20 and 24 inch radius lathes and comes with attachment and alignment plates for all lathes. I call it the "Clark Multi-Steady".

Thanks for your feedback!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
The Spin Doctor
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata