Zach LaPerriere

Elderberry wrinkle bowl

This came from a burl of sorts on an elderberry bush. Each hole corresponds to the pith of a single bud, and this burl was covered in new buds when a friend cut the bush. The elderberry cut well, albeit VERY wet. No sanding.

Elderberry wrinkle bowl
Zach LaPerriere, Jun 1, 2017
Harold Bowern, Bill Boehme and odie like this.
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      odie
      "Character" just oozes from that one, Zach.....:D

What is the size? Is there any relationship to Cottonwood? I'm working on a cottonwood burl that looks very similar to this.....

-----odie-----
    • Zach LaPerriere
      Details! I'm smacking myself on the forehead. I'll get this gallery thing yet. Thanks for asking, Odie.

It's about 5 1/2" across. Cottonwood does have a similar color, though elderberry is more of a shrub than a tree, and not related to my knowledge. Elderberry likes sunny areas with wet ground. It mixes with alder and sometimes cottonwood. Elderberry is usually no more than a few inches in diameter, though I was once charged with cutting a 12" trunk on trailcrew.

An interesting thing of elderberry is that it has a hollow pith, filled with a brownish rosin that was used as a dry lubricant in handmade clocks and watches for centuries. The berries are also medicinal, though the leaves and bark are poisonous. The berries ferment in the fall (like mountain ash berries) and crows and ravens are known to eat too many and fall out of the sky drunk!
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Bill Boehme
      The fairly wide aperture that you used (f/5.6), adds a really nice three dimensional presence to the image.
    • Zach LaPerriere
      Thanks, Bill! A photo compliment from you means a lot. My wife took the photo, so I'll pass on the compliment.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    Recent bowls
    Uploaded By:
    Zach LaPerriere
    Date:
    Jun 1, 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    867.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    800px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS REBEL T3i
    Date / Time:
    2017:05:26 15:59:52
    Exposure Time:
    1/80 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    85 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).