• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Elm
Atle Walvag

Elm

Made from Elm, 21 cm high, black lacuqer, carving, dyes and limingwax.
Wow Atle! That's a beautiful piece. I'm so glad you let the grain show through. Very well done.
Don L.

I really like this, and have been thinking of doing something like this myself, but of walnut, not really suitable for much else. I've been planning on using black leather dye, and creating a very opaque outside surface with shiny--maybe gloss--colors. Could you tell me in what order you applied/did the lacquer, carving, dyes, and liming wax?

I am glad you liked it Arthur.
The black lacquer is added first then the limingwax, it reduces the effect off the limingvax because the lacquer fills the pores a bit. With using the black leather dye I suppose the limingwax will show off the grain wery clear.
The colored part is dyed, oiled and then waxed with a regular wax.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Atle Walvag
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename