mfoster

Floral Symmetry

The form of this piece is an icosahedron. This is a Platonic solid with 20 equilateral triangular faces. The piece was completed by turning an interior sphere as a box, gluing this together and then turning an exterior sphere. The piece was then marked out for the 20 centers and turned on 20 axes between centers. The form was then carved, pierced and colored to achieve the final result. American Hophornbeam, India ink, Acrylics 6.5” x 6.5” x 6.5”

Floral Symmetry
mfoster, Sep 27, 2016
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      odie
      As is your usual......this is truly an amazing piece.

ko
    • Bill Boehme
      Beautiful work. Is this a sphere within a sphere similar to what David Springett does? I might be confused about the inner sphere part of the description.
    • Joe Greiner
      Beautiful indeed. Beyond your usual.

As I understand it, he turned two hemi-spherical "bowls" from well-dimensioned stock, then glued them together. The well-dimensioned stock allowed precision turning of the outside sphere, concentric with the inside. No small feat in itself.
    • mfoster
      Bill, Joe pretty much nailed it. Getting the 2 spheres ( the inner hollow and outer sphere) also needs to take into account the tenon used to glue the halves together and still ensure the spheres are concentric once turned. Add into this calculating the thickness of wood needed to turn the icosahedron and still leave about 1/8" wall thickness at the center of each of the triangular faces where the wood becomes the thinnest. You can't just guess on this. You have to do the math, and follow that plan pretty accurately to pull it off. I didn't really know if all was well until I did the piercing on all of the center 3 petal flowers.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    mfoster
    Date:
    Sep 27, 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    188.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1000px
    Height:
    800px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).