• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Geo Segmented Bowl
Walt

Geo Segmented Bowl

That is insane... insanely good that is! :D How did you do that!! That is one of the most impressive woodturnings I have seen... you did a great job! Applause, applause!!!

Jonathon

I've seen this design on table-tops, but not a woodturning.
You did a nice, precise job with it. Good job.
I think this piece would have benefited from a solid wood midsection or perhaps a more conservatively segmented midsection.
The thick line in the middle and/or the lack of dark segment dividers in the top row of light wood is throwing me off.
I've never been a fan of standard block segmentation that you see on all these vases and stuff (like your other post, no offense), so my perception may be a little skewed. However, there is the occasional piece (usually by Addie Draper, Michael Mode, Mike Schuler, Max Krimmel or the like) that sneaks by and wins my love.
I see this bowl having huge amounts of potential, and with a few modifications in the second draft, and a little more planning in the midsection, it could easily be one of those few, great segmented bowls that blow all the others out of the water.
Other than my little qualms, it looks wonderfully finished. And judging by the interior curve, well-refined in form.
Congratulations.

Hey, not to be argumentative, but I think that the mid section is kinda artistic. When you first look at the piece(at least from this angle)your eye is immediately drawn to the rim. The eye kinda whirls around the rim and then the mid section (the dark line) draws the eyes attention and then you have the black lines that run vertically and they sorta lead/point your eye into the center where the ultimate point of interest is. My eyes do this spiral effect every time I look at the piece... maybe it is just me :) It is kinda cool though.

Jonathon

Thanks for all your comments. The bowl is 10" across and 4" deep. The isometric cubes are comprised of Walnut, Mahogany and Red Oak. The mid ring and border for the top layer is Bolivian Rosewood with Maple as the main body. The finish is three coats of tung oil followed up with a good polishing with the Beall buff system. I appreciate all your comment as this is my 6th segmented piece and I'm still figuring out how different design elements work out in the finished piece.

Walt

Greg, I posted How to make the Isometric Cubes in the "HOW To" Forum.

Walt

Nice job Walt, and thanks for the 'how to'.

I think a spiral stairstep pattern from the top to bottom would work nicely here...

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Walt
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device