• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Heather Beaded Bowl
Jean Turner

Heather Beaded Bowl

Made of ash and Japanese seed beads. Size approx 260 x 60mm including the bead work. The bowl is approx 3mm thick throughout except for the base which is around 5mm and the stitching point which is 2mm. Bead work made separately and then stitched on through 168 drilled holes. Finish a layer of sanding sealer then wax.
Comments and critique welcomed.
Thanks for your comments.
Hal: Fragile? Not particularly - it's ash - so the bowl is fairly light in weight. The bead work is not that delicate either - they are glass - and if the blurb by the maker of the line that I used for sewing the beads is to be believed - the 'thread' should outlast you and me if well cared for. I would not hesitate to serve bread rolls or fruit in this bowl, but loaded with apples, I might be inclined to cup it from the bottom instead of grabbing it by one edge when carrying.

Excellent work Jean. I just discovered "Kumihimo" and have been contemplating ways of integrating it into turning, looks like you are way out front on this one! Thanks for posting!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jean Turner
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device