• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Hip to be Square
Scott Regenbogen

Hip to be Square

This is a maple bowl, that was turned square, and has verigated gold leaf, crushed coke bottle and epoxy detail with a stained ebony back. 12 x 12 x .25" at the edge.
Comments and feedback are alwayes appreciated!
very nice, Scott

Scott, this is a fantastic piece. The contrasts are beautiful. Is the bowl painted? And could you comment on the crushed bottle in epoxy?

thanks Charlie and Hal! The edge and back are stained a dark ebony color and the top is a verigated gold leaf. i crushed up a coke bottle for the color and sift the crushed glass through a screen to get the powder and just small pieces. mixed up some clear epoxy and added the crushed glass powder and let it set...it looks like a transparent green...I'll be doing a demo of this and other epoxy techniques at the hickory NCWT meeting in June

hey ronald thanks for the comments...i feel cheesy admitting this but you can buy the gold leaf with the varigated treatment, which is what i used. as for finish the first few coats were tung oil, then after that hardened i sanded it to about 1500 and then used deft spray lacquer. i normally dont ever spray on finish but i didn't want anything to disturb the gold leaf. thanks again for the feedback!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Scott Regenbogen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename