• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
"Homage to the Shiro Plum"
P

"Homage to the Shiro Plum"

This piece was turned from the trunk of an approximately sixty year old japanese Shiro Plum tree, harvested on our farm two weeks ago at the end of its productive life. Shiro plums are large delicious translucent yellow juicy plums. The tree trunks are coarsely fluted. Remarkably every Shiro plum tree I have seen has its flutes twisting to the left, for intriguing reasons so far unknown. Recently turned bark and wood varies from yellow to orange to deep reds, blacks and maroons. In time these glorious colours darken into rich browns. I usually turn spheres from these trunks but this time I celebrated the fluting by turning a hollow cylinder parallel to the trunk, which resulted in a much more masculine looking piece. The intrigue of the convoluted form and the richness of the internal colours of this tree always draw me back to the rewards of classical woodturning, and humbled at the richness of natures own beauty. This piece is 15 inches high, 10 inches in diameter, and finished with several coats of glossy rub-on poly. It is mounted on an embedded, suade-based lazy-susan, for ease of observer rotation.
Reactions: Buddy Brewer
Very nice indeed, and a beautiful and unusual wood from your own farm. Certainly something unique and well done. Personally, I would have preferred a semi-gloss finish, but that's just one man's opinion.
Dale

Clemens - I hear you re: semi-gloss but the fine detail in the colour and grain demanded they not be diminished with any semi-demi finish! LOL
Gary - no sweet smell with this wood while turning..?

Peter I am sure this will bring back memories of all the lovely fruit it provided you over the years every time you look at it, great way to celebrate it. This turn would have been fun I am sure. :)
Pete

Media information

Album
Peter Rand
Added by
Peter Rand
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata