• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Imagine the hidden world No. 1
AndiWolfe

Imagine the hidden world No. 1

2006. Ginkgo. 3 X 2 5/8 inches.

This is a vessel in my "Hidden World" series, which is inspired from the microscopic world of pollen grains and seeds. The designs are inspired from the beautiful architectural features of pollen and seed as seen at high magnification using a scanning electron microscope. The designs are not copies of nature, but are inspired from that landscape.
Andi,

I like this series. That is a fun source of inspiration. You might also check out plankton as a source for ideas. There are some amazing shapes in plankton, especially diatoms, that might give you some great ideas.

Here is a web site you can check for photos.
http://www.imagequest3d.com/photos/plankton/untitled.htm

This site includes shots of both zooplankton (animals) and p[hytoplankton (plants). The plants probably have the shapes that would most easily translate to turning, but there are some amazing forms in both categories.

Thanks for sharing these!!

Dave

Dave - thanks for the link. There are some great images there. Diatoms, rotifers, and other microskeletons are also inspirations for me. I really enjoy the microscopic landscape - especially as seen with SEM. You can see one of my "hybrid" inspirations on my weblog. I posted some progress pics of my "rice bowl project." My contribution to this AAW effort was inspired from wood anatomy, pollen grain anatomy, and diatom skeletons. Kind of a weird combination, but I like the way it's coming along. I'll post a pic here when it's finished.

The blog url for the project progress pics is:

http://andiwolfe.blogspot.com/2006/11/imagine-hidden-world.html#links

Andi, your love and appreciation for Nature and it's application to the craft of turning and carving is inspiring to me, although doing something like this makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it!

POD 04-23-07
AAW Home Page Photo Of the Day
--
Ken Grunke,
AAW Forums Co-Moderator
member & webmaster, Coulee Region Woodturners
My Home Page

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
AndiWolfe