pjreilly

"Incoming"

This is boxelder burl, 7 1/4" wide x 3/4" tall, finished with danish oil. It's very thin and light but has striking grain.

"Incoming"
pjreilly, Apr 29, 2004
    • Jeff Jilg
      I really like the color on this! The top grain design reminds me of a bird with the knot as the eye.
    • Chris Wright
      Nicely done Pam. The figure and color in this piece are awesome. Is this your first platter? I don't recall seeing you show one before.
    • pjreilly
      Thanks, Jeff. I didn't see that in it. I named it 'Incoming' because it looked like a comet entering the atmosphere. Your vision is a little less violent :)
      Thanks, Chris. I've only done one other platter. It was a small walnut piece that I posted on WOW. I tried it to test out double sided tape. It worked well enough that I decided to make this one. I almost couldn't get it off the tape...

Pam
    • Keith T.
      wow, that is a spectacular piece!
    • pjreilly
      Thanks, Keith. I was just looking at some of your pieces and they are phenomenal.
    • Ken Grunke
      It looks to me like a closeup of a solar storm! You should show this to an astrononical society :)
      I know how hard it is to turn fine detail on Box Elder, it's a fairly soft wood--excellent work, Pam!
    • pjreilly
      Thanks, Ken. It would have been an inch larger in diameter, but I had a catch. As you pointed out, it's relatively soft and can be hard to get a clean cut. Live and learn..... Thank you.
    • Paul Porter
      Awesome piece, Pam. Great display of the figure.
    • Malcolm Tibbetts
      Pam,
      Woodturners don't want to hear, "nice piece of wood", they want to hear, "nice turning". Well, this is both. Very nice job!
      Malcolm
    • pjreilly
      Paul and Malcolm, thank you both very much.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    pjreilly
    Date:
    Apr 29, 2004
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    65 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    706px
    Height:
    700px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).