• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Bradner Bond for "Power Carved Figured Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 11, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Indian Summer
michael alguire

Indian Summer

Indian Summer is my latest on my basket s it is done on African cherry. It is the most coloring I've done on all of them and i absolutely love it. It has cobalt turquoise and sanguine for the color choices . The name came together quite well as its September and its Indian themed and because of our late summer s here in New Mexico.
It is 11" diameter and has 13,680 squares. The ink was fabar castel and finished with krylon matt finish.
Michael, I love this piece, and can only imagine the patience it takes to produce it. I assume you simply cut the circular beading with the piece turning on the lathe, but it is not obvious how you create the radial divisions. It looks like there around 250 radial divisions. Do you use a dividing head and then scribe the radial lines?

@Raymond Puffer I do as you say, the beading on the lathe and the radial lines I use a indexing plate behind my Chuck and another platform form that allows me to clamp an up right scrap to the plate on each index mark. I then use a flat tool rest that is set on center,and then i can use a pencil to scribe the lines. And then from there its hours off burning the pencil lines with a wood burner. and there's actually 240 cells per bead and 46 beads.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
michael alguire
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 4 ratings

Image metadata

Filename