Don Leydens

It's a Leaker!

A while back a tree guy stopped by my shop and dropped off a couple pretty ugly oak burls. Don't even know the guy. Couldn't even get a pen blank out of the first one, but managed to get this out of the other. The base is from the same piece, but from a different spot. Thought I was gong to loose her when a crack developed near the bottom, but she held together. No embellishments on this one. I really enjoy making these types of turnings and have a bunch more in the works. Your criticism is appreciated (good stuff too :-) ) Finished with Tung Oil and brought back with steel wool and Ren. wax. 5-/2" tall x 6" across. Inside photo below. Thanks for looking, Don

It's a Leaker!
Don Leydens, Feb 16, 2013
    • odie
      Hi Don......

That one might have been called "widow maker", or something like that!

Congratulations on being chosen as instructor. I believe I saw that in the last AAW magazine, but it's at work right now. Where did I see that?Anyway, your works have always been well done.......hope you can pass along some of your skills to others......

ooc
    • Don Leydens
      Thanks very much Odie, you're the best. I'm really looking forward to Campbell. I very much enjoy demos, and now this kicks it up a notch.
    • Michelle Rich
      Glad I read Odie's post, and learned you will be demo-ing. Congrats to you Don. Hope it all goes well & you have tons of fun.
      This piece totally amazes me. What nerve you have! It is just delightful. Can't use it as an umbrella, 'fer sure!!!
    • Don Leydens
      Thanks Michelle! I've been doing a few demos here and there, but Odie is taking about teaching at John C. Campbell Folk School. I have one class scheduled and a couple more are in the works. Love that place!
    • Bill Weaver
      Isn't amazing what nature hides from us until we machine it.
      Don that is awesome work, love it.
      I some burl laying out in the garage that I need to get up a nuff nerve to do something with.
      Good luck with your teaching down there.
    • Don Leydens
      Thanks for taking the time to comment, Bill. Now go get that hunk of burl and make something! :)
      Don L.
    • KurtB
      A beautiful result from a daring attempt!

Turning of the Week, 01/18/2013
      AAW Home Page Photo
    • Hal Taylor
      Wow Don, that's a double. Congratulations. Can you make it a triple?
    • Don Leydens
      Kurt, thank you very much for the honor. It's very appreciated!

Hal, lol! Thanks. BTW, thanks for the tittle too!

Don L.
    • Robert Lane
      Good job, Don Congrats!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Don Leydens
    Date:
    Feb 16, 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    128.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).