hockenbery

Kokapelli black on black

An experiment using black on black with leather dye Edit - sandcarved citrus

Kokapelli black on black
hockenbery, Jun 26, 2016
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Mark Hepburn
      Al, it amazes me to see the way you do these things. I remember watching you at the Pittsburgh symposium, and couldn't believe you could turn a perfect sphere while also talking to everybody around you.

I really admire this work. And aspire to be able to do it
      hockenbery likes this.
    • hockenbery
      Ha!
      Mark I've seen the spherical lids you ar doing.
      Spheres are much easier!!!!!
      Just practice you can do anything you try.

Al
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Bill Boehme
      Great work, Al. How do you texture the balls.
    • hockenbery
      @Bill Boehme
      Bill,
      the texturing is sandblasting with coarse ground glass. With a dense wood the background gets a sort of pebbly look. With less dens woods you see the grain pattern.
    • Bill Boehme
      @hockenbery
      Thanks, Al. I suspected that it might be sandblasting. Do you think that a Harbor Freight sandblasting rig would work satisfactorily? Also, do you use some sort of rubber to cover the areas that you don't want to etch away? I have some leftover butyl rubber that is used as an underlayment for floor tile
    • Joe Greiner
      Bill,
      Al hasn't jumped in, so I will.

He used the Harbor Freight cabinet at the Atlanta Symposium. From the Handout Book, for the resist he used Anchor BlastLite(tm) Stencil #T226, 22 mil. I think it's self-adhesive.

Aside from that, I like the Globe more.
    • hockenbery
      Bill Boehme @hockenbery
      "Thanks, Al. I suspected that it might be sandblasting. Do you think that a Harbor Freight sandblasting rig would work satisfactorily?"

Joe was paying attention!
      Notes for the demo include tools and supplies
      http://aaw2016.hockenbery.net/sandcarving.pdf

Lots of stuff will work for resist. You could try a piece of whatever but likely it will disintegrate and make particles that clog the blast gun. The blast resist is made for blasting.

I suggest the large harbor freight cabinet with legs and a light.
      It is much easier to empty the media. I use the tabletop cabinet in demos because it is easier to carry in the truck.

Get the blast cabinet on sale and use a 20% off coupon from the paper.
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Douglas Ladendorf
      Another great one Al. Thanks for including the notes. Looks like that particular resist is out due to a flood at the manufacturer.
    • hockenbery
      @Douglas Ladendorf
      UScutter told me a few days before the sympsoium they might have the BlastLite resist in July or August. The manufacturer had a flood.
    • Douglas Ladendorf
      Thanks. This is high on my list to try.
      hockenbery likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    Sandcarving
    Uploaded By:
    hockenbery
    Date:
    Jun 26, 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    79.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1024px
    Height:
    683px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).