• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
LIdded Box, spalted maple
Ken Grunke

LIdded Box, spalted maple

The lid locks/unlocks with a quarter-turn.
4 inches high, 3 inches dia.
That's a great shape Ken but the quarter-turn lid has my attention. Could you explain or maybe a picture? Also what is the finish?

Bob, a short (2 mm) male dovetail is turned under the lid at the same angle as the inside of the rim, and carefully measured to end up as a close fit inside the rim after the following handwork is done:
Two opposing quarter-sections of the dovetail are flattened, then two opposing quarter-sections of the rim inside edge are flattened to allow the unflattened parts of the rim's dovetail to pass through 90 degrees from the position where the grain lines up.
I use an Xacto knife to do most of the flattening, finishing up with files.
There's barely a 64th inch to remove in each case, so it doesn't take much.
While the almost-finished lid is still in the chuck, I use a pyramid point tool to turn a fine groove in the end of the dovetail, as a guide for flattening the dovetail sections evenly--and the same is done with the body.
It takes careful measuring with a caliper--you can't fit the lid to the body until after the handwork is done.
I always turn the body first, then I can twiddle with the fit of the lid while it's still on the lathe--and hopefully not turn it too loose! Just the finest cut with a skew can make a big difference.
Hope this helps--BTW, the finish is General ArmR Seal wipe-on urethane, buffed. But it needs a couple more coats, I ran out of finish!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ken Grunke
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename