Peter Rand

lignam vitae femisphere box

Some years ago Marilyn Campbell gave me the doorstop from their studio! It turned out to be genuine lignam vitae (ironwood) (!), the most dense, tightest grain, hardest wood I have ever turned. A very aromatic wood, delightful if you like smoked kippers. That is the wood that was used in early days for ships bearings. You can still get a wide variety of water-lubricated environmentally-friendly lignam vitae wood bearings today. A similar femisphere box as this, that I treasured and would never sell nor give away, disappeared quite mysteriously from my house!! I had just enough lignam vitae left to make another. This box, for a single precious jewel, has embedded magnetic catchment/attachment. Its bottom is that part that remains in your hand when you remove the top! The variegated color is natural. Finished with wipe on poly. Five inches in diameter.

lignam vitae femisphere box
Peter Rand, Aug 21, 2013
    • Peter Gray
      Wonderful piece Peter, make sure you keep this one in a safe place :)
      I have been playing with some of the David Springett designs, they kind of get you hooked, never thought of hollowing, nice idea
      Pete
    • Peter Rand
      Thanks Peter. It sure is challenging and fun. (How do I delete the extra photo here??)
    • Vincent Luciani
      That is an excellent turning....baffles me!
      The double posting happens to me too....Click photo options and then click edit, then find delete on the bottom
    • Peter Gray
      Peter, not sure on how to delete a double up, might pay to contact the Administrator for help
      Pete
    • KurtB
      Awesome turning - the wood is exquisite!

Turning of the Week, 08/25/2013
      AAW Home Page Photo
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    Peter Rand
    Uploaded By:
    Peter Rand
    Date:
    Aug 21, 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    161.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1000px
    Height:
    833px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).