mfoster

Lobelia

Inspired by a photo of a giant lobelia I got from National Geographic. The plant (and this piece) exhibit spirals (in 2 directions) that conform to the Fibonacci series. There are 13 spirals in one direction and 21 in the other. It's incredible the number of examples that th Fibonacci series shows up in nature. Walnut 4 1/2" x 6 3/4"

Lobelia
mfoster, Aug 8, 2008
    • Dave Bowers
      Very nice, there's a ton of detail work in there. What was you carving/sanding method to get the detail of the leaves where one comes out from underneath the previous ones?
    • Norm Smith
      You must have a lot of hours on this piece. It is a beautyful.
      Norm
    • Mike Malstrom
      Beautiful and beautifully done!
    • Rick Taylor
      Great work!
    • Bill Pottorf
      Stunning work Mike! Very well done.
    • KurtB
      Mike, this piece is stunning!

POD 08-09-08
      AAW Home Page Photo Of the Day
    • mfoster
      Thanks all for the kind words and thanks for the POD Kurt, didn't really expect that.

Dave, this was mostly done with power carvers with some work with hand tools. I have to admit that I'm a dentist and used some old dental power tools for this as well, but not the high speed variety that a lot of turners use for pierced work.
    • Rob Wallace
      Michael:

An absolutely outstanding piece! Any hints as to how you laid-out the Fibonacci spirals? BTW - above 13 or so, the "Golden Mean" ratio is approximated by successive Fibo-numbers (i.e. 21/13; 34/21, 55/34, etc.). Many plants follow this sequence due to pre-programmed cell-division planes and daughter-cell proportions in their apical meristems. Many cacti have their tubercle patterns in this Fibonacci spiral (orthostichies vs. parastichies), as do some gastropod molluscs in their shell spirals. I also enjoy imparting nature motifs into my turnings.... Cheers, Rob Wallace
    • Greg Thomas
      Fantastic. I want to reach out and touch it. 10. Greg Thomas
    • robincostelle
      Hi Mike-Holy Cow!-this thing is So Cool! I love the form and the carving looks right on. That is amazing-Robin
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    mfoster
    Date:
    Aug 8, 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    61.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    613px
    Height:
    800px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).