• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Lost at Sea
W

Lost at Sea

Big leaf maple burl/grape vine/ with resin overlay, turned green and thin to created movement, carved, pierced, metalized dye air brushed on carved & textured overlay. By turning "Lost at Sea' my goal is to bring awareness to our fragile sea life. This piece measures 22" x 16" x 3/32" not counting the grapevine. The grape vine was sandblasted and sealed with sanding sealer to lock in natural color. The burl has a clear sealer & wax finish to make the wood 'pop' with its natural color without a high gloss.
Thanks for the 10 Don. After looking at your work I consider that quite a compliment. Your turnings are excellect and quite creative as well. We need to get you down to the Charlotte club to do a demo.
John

Quite a beautiful and interesting piece. Takes a little study to really appreciate, and I suspect the real thing is orders of magnitude more striking.

Really cool rendering of a sea fan as well as the barnacle. I also like the use of the grape vine as a base...it's organic and adds to the overall piece, yet does not compete with it.

Smiles,
Rick

Thanks Rick, the critique and 10 rating are really appreciated. I have visited your gallery and I am very impressed with your work. The textured sculpture is my favorite, just awesome. congrats on the photo of the week, well deserved

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Woodscaper
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device