Emiliano Achaval

Lychee Threaded Box

A hand threaded Lychee box. Finished with Mylands friction polish.

Lychee Threaded Box
Emiliano Achaval, Jan 8, 2017
odie, Dave Delo and Bill Boehme like this.
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Bill Boehme
      Very nice.
    • Nicholas Licata
      Nice, I just purchased a new lathe just so I could work slow enough to chase threads. I can't wait to try.
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      odie
      Lovely little box, Emiliano........ko
    • Peter Misiaszek
      Great piece!
      What tool did you use to chase the threads?
    • Emiliano Achaval
      @Peter Misiaszek I'm a big fan of Bill Jones. I have both of his books. I'm doing it the old way. Hand thread chasers, 16 TPI, with traditional arm rest, point tool for chamfers, I just ordered a recess tool from England, by Ashley Niles. The sorby one is way to big, and expensive. For now I'm using my David Ellsworth bent hollowing tool, lol, an overkill but works!! I quickly find out that more important than anything else is to have the right kind of wood. I wont use CA to harden the wood, I prefer to have the right wood. So far Lychee is the only good one.... Also, I wont go out and buy boxwood or lignum vitae. I will trade some for Koa, hopefully I will trade some Koa for Sandalwood this week and I can report back my results. Aloha from Maui.
    • Emiliano Achaval
      @Nicholas Licata hand thread chasing can quickly become an addiction, lol Lots of fun. I will be doing some live Facebook videos soon about it...
    • Nicholas Licata
      @Emiliano Achaval I can't wait to try, can you recommend a set of thread chasing chisels? I'd watch if you put it on youtube. I have deactivated videos on my FB. Oh, I didn't see your previous comment about the Ashley Niles tools. I'll check them out.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    Maui Woodturner
    Uploaded By:
    Emiliano Achaval
    Date:
    Jan 8, 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    124.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    768px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D90
    Date / Time:
    2017:01:01 18:32:11
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 500
    Focal Length:
    38 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).