• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Maple Burl & Ebony Hollow Form
Chris Wright

Maple Burl & Ebony Hollow Form

Maple burl hollow form with ebony collar and foot. 7" dia. x 6" tall
I like this piece, Chris! It appears to be inflated with air pressure; nice sense of volume. beautiful!

Thanks gents. This is my best piece yet in my opinion. I just wish my photography skills were as good, the patterns in this piece of burl are out of this world and don't show as well as they could in the photo.

Chris, you're going to have to put away the tire pump and turn piece like the rest of us from now on. Don't we have rules in place that moderators aren't supposed to be great woodturners too?? I like the accent collar on this piece contrasting against the nice grain of the rest of the piece. And the photo is pretty decent too - the patterns show up pretty good from here.

Every time I visit this website I have to look at this picture again. This is one of the most beautiful turnings I've ever seen. I'm giving it a 10 (never gave that out before).

Question about the "pinkish" color. Photography effect? Most maple burls are more yellowish, I'd really like to know how you achieved this.

Wonderful work!

Thanks Jeff. Hey, how could we great moderators if we didn't know what we were talking about? ;-)

Thanks Mike, that's quite a compliment! As for the pinkish color, that is an effect of the lighting hotspot due to a quickie photo shot. The piece is more of a rich golden honey color, with a ton more figure than what shows here.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Chris Wright
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename