• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
"My Demons" Blues Bowl
R

"My Demons" Blues Bowl

This instrument was inspired by cigar box guitars and is the first fretted instrument I've made. I was able to get the measurements from an online fret calculator at http://www.stewmac.com

I named it "My Demons" because of the fire that I saw in the spalted top. I continued the flames in the design on the fret board.

The bowl and fret board is walnut. The top insert is book matched spalted sycamore and the neck is cherry. The bridge and nut are ebony.

I turned two necks at the same time by face jointing two pieces together with brown paper between them. The bowl and lid were fitted together. I'll be doing a demonstration of the technique for the Waxhaw Woodturners club in December.

The guitar has four strings tuned to Open G (GDGD). There are a number of different tunings that you can do with the instrument. I also installed a piezo pickup in the guitar so it can be plugged into an amp. A lot of the things I've learned about making these came from http://www.cigarboxnation.com
Reactions: Dave Morgan
Thanks Ronnie Boy,

I'm certain someone of better playing ability could get something better than I can out of it but at least you can satisfy your curiosity about how it sounds. Very bluesy, somewhat primitive and I was playing with a slide instead of the frets so it picks up some of my poor technique.

My Demons Sound Check

Above link is to an MP3 (if your browser doesn't play it with a plug in, right click, save as, and double click the file)

Very intriguing use of turning. Since I do strum from time to time, I'm also interested in how it sounds. Thanks for sharing.

Raymond, you do fine work! I've seen the threads on the creek, but this takes the cake!! I don't see tone holes; on the backside, maybe?? Also, I've worked with a little spalted sycamore before, but mine was quite soft. Did you use any wood hardener on this? I have to show this pic to some friends of mine; I'm on my way to the annual WV Appalachian String Band Festival today.(I'm a baritone sax player that likes to follow bass lines by ear)

Ron,

I know some of the Cigarbox guys have tuned theirs like a Uke and I've got a guy that wants me to make him a Uke. I'll probably actually use a cigarbox for that one though cause he's looking for a low cost option.

Nate,

Thanks for the compliments. I didn't put any tone holes in it but the pickup works pretty well and I have a little Crate amp I picked up off Craigslist. It's kind of like a hollow body electric. I didn't have any problems with the spalted sycamore being soft. We caught it at the right time. Have fun at the Festival.

Cool Ron,

Let me know if I can help you with some of my useless knowledge about what I've learned while making these. I need to write up the build and see if I can get it published somewhere. :cool:

I've started a new website for these at http://www.bluesbowls.com

How cool. Oh brother where art thou. The coolest thing is it has to be one of a kind. Great job!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Raymond Overman
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device