David Strickland

Natural edged bowl

10"W x 9.5"H Maple burl bowl with metal gears, lid & black ebony finial. Finished w/ lacquer sand sealer & high gloss lacquer. Buffed w/ white diamond and carnuba wax.

Natural edged bowl
David Strickland, Mar 24, 2006
    • Ed Koenig
      David, This piece is very interesting and well crafted. Bobby E. Phillips did a piece using a tapered roller bearing on the foot. I can't tell from the photo what you used. Is it chain? I think a smooth seamless paper background would work better.
    • David Strickland
      Ed, I used three gears on the foot and offset the teeth. Thanks for the background tip. I will give that a try.
    • Jeff Jilg
      Nice piece David. The main thing I like about it is the inset of the top into the base of the work. It seems like an inviting and hidden item is down in the container and it invites one to open the lid to see what is inside.
    • David Strickland
      Ed, took you advise and found a better background to use. Any other advise or thoughts would be appreciated. David
    • MichaelMouse
      Nice one! Did you char the edge? I've been doing that with firewood splits, and yours looks like the results I'm getting from the technique. Now I know what to shoot for on my next box.
    • David Strickland
      Michael, yes I did char the edge with a pencil torch then used a soft brush to clean it up and bring out the natural highlights.
      I sealed the chared egde with sand sealer before finish turning inside & out.
    • Mark Ost
      David is a master at finishing, as this bowl shows. He has been turning about two or so years. I am contantly amazed with his work. This piece is but one of a number of fine pieces that he has done.
    • Ed Koenig
      David, Much better. Is there a lid that comes off or is it hollowed through the hole the finial fits in?
    • David Strickland
      Ed, the domed lid lifts off to reveal the open bowl inside. Also inside you would find antique Brass inlayed in the small burl openings.
    • David Strickland
      Jeff, thank you for your comment. How you see it is how I felt as I worked with this bowl "what's inside?". So I decided to do the lid to keep the question in others minds as well. Just lift the lid for the answer!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    David Strickland
    Date:
    Mar 24, 2006
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    84.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    597px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon PowerShot A70
    Date / Time:
    2006:03:25 16:18:49
    Exposure Time:
    1/6 sec
    Focal Length:
    11.3125 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).