• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
NE Hollow Form
E

NE Hollow Form

This pretty wood comes from the prunings of a large old Sugar Maple tree covered with burls. This piece is 7" dia x 10" tall and was turned from green
wood. The piece tells the story of this tree from the heartwood to bark. It's finished with my oil mix and buffed with tripoli and carnauba wax.
Hi Ed, I love the color difference from the spout to the sides. How did you hollow and how thick is the sidewall? Beautiful wood and nice job.

Hi Larry. I do most of my hollowing freehand with Kelton hollowers and homemade tools. I seldom use a captured rig with laser although I have one. I prefer the flexibility freehand hollowing affords me. Changing tools is very fast when working freehand. I use my homemade tools for the high shoulder areas. The wall thickness is 1/4" on this piece. Thank you for your comments.
Be well.
Ed

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ed Koenig
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings