1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice
Richard Spencer

Norfolk Island Pine Hollowform

This is my first post on this gallery. I have always enjoyed turning Norfolk Island Pine and this is my best piece yet. It's about 7 inches tall and 8 inches in diameter. It took first place in its category at the Orange County Fair (California) in 2017.

Norfolk Island Pine Hollowform
    • Marshall Sadler
      Are the knots naturally red or did you use dyes? They are a nice touch either way.
    • Richard Spencer
      Yes, the eyes are always red. If you put a light inside they glow.
    • Martin Groneng
      This is a beauty, Richard. It almost looks human, staring at me!
    • Marshall Sadler
      That is very interesting Richard, I wonder why that is.
    • Richard Spencer
      Well Marshall, It has to do with the nature of the tree. On a Norfolk Island Pine the branches grow out horizontally, roughly at the same level and roughly equally spaces around the circumference. Compared to the trunk the limbs are very different. The heart wood is red and very hard. (this makes turning it a bit of a challenge) Because the red heart wood is so dense a light inside the vessel makes the knots appear to glow. while the light doesn't seem to penetrate the rest of the vessel. Of course it must be turned thin enough to allow this to happen.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Richard Spencer
    Date:
    Jan 11, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    372.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1342px
    Height:
    1155px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL
    Date / Time:
    2015:10:29 07:38:46
    Exposure Time:
    1/50 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    45 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).