• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Norfolk Pine Bowl
Mark Hepburn

Norfolk Pine Bowl

Made this for using as a bread rising bowl. 13 x 7 with a fairly thick wall - about 3/8" - so it will hold up to use. Finish is poly. I'm always interested in opinions that will help me improve, so comments and critique are most definitely welcome.
Jamie, Odie, thank you very much!

Jamie, thanks again. Just wanted to say that the rim detail has a good bit of Odie in it, with the detail line and so on. So I have to give props to him for that. And to Al Hockenbery for emphasizing to me the importance of repeating work and working on spheres, beads and coves. I'm nowhere near his class for sure, but it's helped in a huge way.

@odie Yes, I've been listening to some podcasts on the subject of the "10,000 hour" principle. And although the author says he has been taken somewhat out of context, one of the major points is "deliberate practice". So every time I start to turn, I try to focus on a specific area that's just a bit harder than what I've done before, and it's all around tool handling more than the finished work.

As a result, I've got a lot of blown up bowls around the shop as reminders. :-D

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Mark Hepburn
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Image metadata