• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Ornament Stand - remember my tapered crescent question?
underdog

Ornament Stand - remember my tapered crescent question?

Here's the alternative to turning that crescent, cutting it in half and re-gluing it to make a stand.

3 piece Walnut ornament stand and 3 piece birdhouse ornament

Stand: 6-1/4t x 5w
Birdhouse: 2-1/2t x 1-3/4w
Finish is wipe on poly.

The stand is turned in three pieces, base, stem, and bead. The bent portion was half boiled, half steamed in a fry pan, bent by hand (hot!) then held in place with some strap off a back pack until dry. I trimmed the stem at the apex of the curve, and fitted the bead on the end.

The fittings were hand made with beading wire.

The bird house is made in three pieces, the body of Peach, the top of Sweet Gum, and the perch of walnut.

I'm pleased with the result, although I'd have more of a shoulder on the stem tenon next time. I barely had enough to register it in the mortise, and had a few cracks that I filled with coffee and CA glue.
Also I haven't figured out how to turn the raised portion of the base off center yet or I'd have done that... I'll have to think on that some more...

I may still make a stand derived from a tapered crescent, but for now this was easier, and more elegant than the coat hanger wire stands...
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
underdog
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata