• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Plain Bowl
Terry Scott

Plain Bowl

This piece of Red gum Burl measures 300mm

I was pleasantly surprised with my second placing at the Royal Easter show

As I dont normally do plain http://www.naw.org.nz/galleries/eastershow%202010/34plain_bowl_second_t_scott.html

Turned to an even wall thickness of 4mm sanded with oil then lacquered over the top

The inside I just left the oil burnished to show a contrast between inside and out

I would have normally have carved on three feet but as last year one of my pieces was disqualified because I had the feet this just sits on a normal spigot type base

My other entries were all natural edge and the judges deemed that natural edge was not a plain bowl so along with many other entries mine were put aside

Half the fun of competitions is pushing the boundaries or reading the rules and making work to fit the category
See Royal easter Show Results http://www.naw.org.nz/galleries/eastershow%202010/index.html
Comments welcome
That's one of those pieces you just like to stare at. I love the subtle dip down in the rim. Such classy work!
Don L.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata