• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Quilted maple salt and pepper
David Sweet

Quilted maple salt and pepper

This quilted maple set comprises a CrushGrind mill and SS shaker top/rubber bung. Red = WoodKote dye stain, Black = India ink, Finish = 4 coats of rattle can polyU.
David-

Outstanding and the coloring along with the finish, makes them jump out and begging to be used.

Gary

Thanks John, Gary and Phil,

This set will be a gift for a wedding, so I'm pleased you like it. Perhaps the bride and groom will too!

David

Clever idea!

Turning of the Week, 08/05/12
AAW Home Page Photo

Hi Phil,
Thanks very much for the comment. What a surprise!

Hi Kurt,
A very special thanks and my sincere appreciation to you for selecting this piece as Turning of the Week. This is very inspiring!

David

Dave.
This mill stands out so well. It's not just the shape but the beautiful wood and the dye. Is the dye sprayed or was it brushed?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your comments. This wood is big-leaf maple from around the Vancouver B.C. area. Some trees have exceptional grain patterns, as you can see. The dye was floated on with a foam brush, allowed to dry and then sanded back. When the polyurethane was added, the pattern jumped out!

Here is a link to the dye stain product I used but from a different supplier:
http://www.superfpaint.com/products/Wood-Kote-Dye-Stain%252dA-UV.html

I hope this helps.
David

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
David Sweet
Date added
View count
Comment count