• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Radiolarian
H

Radiolarian

Ernst Haeckel (1834-1919) was a very prominent zoologist. Among his many talents, he was an excellent painter and drew pictures of many animals and plants most of which though were microscopic aquatic animals. He described many species of Radiolaria, a subgroup of amoeboid Protozoa, which have mineral skeletons. In his published drawings is a picture of a radiolarian which I have tried to turn and carve which is shown.

It is holly turned as a 4.5 in. sphere, cut in half, hollowed to about 3/16 in. then glued back together. I then had to reduce each of the sections to about 3/32 in. leaving the equators 3/16 in. The piercing is an attempt to show the erosion of the exoskeleton as Haeckel had drawn. After lots of piercing, sanding, filling (each section took about four hours), I bleached the form to give a fossilized appearance. Broken off spikes on the equators are made by using slightly tinted artist acrylic gel medium.
What an amasing work Hal. the processes you have used to achieve the result are indeed very skillful.
A truly fabulous piece :)
Pete

Extraordinary effort chasing the vision while drawing on lots of experience and many skills. It`s really killer Hal!

Hal,

An extraordinary piece. Loved how clean the detail work. I can appreciate the many hours carving.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Hal Taylor
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device