• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Reality Beckons!
Richard Kennedy

Reality Beckons!

After having so much fun with my new best friend the Greenwood I figured it was about time I came back down to earth and did some real work! (LOL)

Sycamore 130mm x 80mm x 2mm Pierced and waxed

I guess it needs a proper name but I cant think of one I would like to think the onion shape has some historic ceramic cousin that I can use to create a title but maybe not! The piercing is asymmetric to the and just in passing whilst removing the wood from the piercing the tension in the piece relaxed and the opening went oval which I kind of liked. It has no foot (round bottomed) so any warpage is fine by me

C&C welcome as ever

Richard
Very nice. Classical, in fact.

The three-leg pinwheels of the piercing reminds me of a pattern I saw many years ago in some terra cotta panels in Washington DC. I think we'd been asked to replicate them in cast stone (essentially precast concrete) for some restoration work. IIRC, the boss (MFA from Corcoran) called the pattern "running dog." But Google suggests he might have been referring to a different part of the work. Oh well.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Richard Kennedy
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename