Ron Wehde

Red Series # 2

7" X 9" Maple bowl that has been dyed with a dark red Artisan dye. The top has a pierced ring. The lid is ebonized Maple and the inside has been ebonized and embellished with pyrography. Comments welcome.

Tags:
Red Series # 2
Ron Wehde, Sep 8, 2008
    • Ed_McDonnell
      What finish did you use? It sure looks pretty good in the picture.

What kind of pyrographic embellishment did you do over the ebonized interior?

Is the artisan red dye light fast?

Nice job.

Ed
    • Ed_McDonnell
      Ron - 30 coats and all that sanding is a lot of work, but it sure makes for a beautiful finish.

How did you finish the pierced areas? I can't imagine you sanded each pierced opening after every 2 coats!!!! Mabye you did!!! That woudl be something else.

Ed
    • Ron Wehde
      Ed - The pierced area was sanded smooth and then I put 4 coats of a matte finish on it with some light clean up sanding to add additional contrast.
    • charlie knighton
      very nice, how many coats of dye did you use???
    • Ron Wehde
      Charlie,
      Thank you. I just used two coats. It was a mixture of mostly red with some black and a little green mixed in.
    • Truffuls
      Stunning piece, Ron. Could you go into a bit of detail about how you applied the dye? I have a set of Mixol tints and have tried mixing them with DNA and wiping on, but can't seem to get the deep color absorption you have.
      Any guidance you could give would be appreciated.
    • Ron Wehde
      Thank you,
      I use Artisan Dye from Craft Supplies. I mixed the color and tested it on a scrap piece first until I got the color I wanted and then applied it full strength without any thinning.
    • Norm Smith
      This piece is a winner. Great work.
      Norm
    • KurtB
      Ron, this turning is great! Thanks for sharing it with us.

POD 09-11-08
      AAW Home Page Photo Of the Day
    • Ron Wehde
      Norm and Kurt,

Thank you very much for the kind words.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Ron Wehde
    Date:
    Sep 8, 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    97.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    889px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    E8800
    Date / Time:
    2008:08:28 23:17:30
    Exposure Time:
    10/20 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 50
    Focal Length:
    21.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).