• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Rejects
Mike Gibson

Rejects

Reading the latest AAW Journal in an article about Frank Sudol there is a paragraph that caught my eye.

In the creative process, not all ideas lead to success, but there are few truly dead ends: each piece is a start and may hold the seed of better work to come. “No matter how good we are, it is always a start” said Sudol. “As l learned more, l did better. And so will you.”

I thought how true. I have been working/experimenting on many different pieces for exhibitions, galleries and some that were just ideas running through my head that l had to try. Here is a collection of a few of the rejects, from which l have learnt a lot.
I would be pretty happy with those as NON-rejects! Good to always be pushing though. Isn't there a saying like - if you aren't making mistakes you aren't trying hard enough? Goes for experimenting too.

Mike, I have a glass shelf disposal unit on my wall if you would like me to get rid of them for you :)
Pretty impressive "rejects"

Why are they rejects? I've adopted a "keep-a-goin" philosophy. I am often discouraged by something which doesn't follow my original vision. These I try to "push through" and often times, another vision appears. I don't think any of those are worthy of the fireplace! In fact, I like the tree form on the left so much, I think I'm gonna give something like that a try.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Mike Gibson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device