Bill Boehme

Rings Around Neptune

Maple sphere and off axis platter. Figured maple colored with TransTint dyes. Lacquer finish.

Rings Around Neptune
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Dave Delo
      Very pleasing to the eye color-wise. The offset really looks good. Thanks for sharing the piece.
    • Douglas Ladendorf
      Gorgeous, and very interesting concept. I'd love to see the underside.
    • Mark Hepburn
      Bill, I agree with everybody it is really beautiful. Id also like to see the other side
    • Bill Boehme
      Thanks for the comments. Since the rule is a maximum of two views per image maybe I will post a picture in the discussion forum. The underside is rather ordinary with a gentle ogee with a small foot in the center. The top surface is a spherical curve and I created a second tenon on the bottom for the off center "bowl". In order for the "bowl" to have a circular rim, I needed to make certain that it was on an axis that is a radius of the larger sphere ... in other words if its axis were extended, it would pass through the projected center of the sphere. Otherwise the intersection of the two surfaces would be an ellipse. Nobody but me would notice so that is all the reason that I needed. One of the important things in woodturning is that funnels aren't considered a good indicator of skill so I made a CAD drawing to reassure myself that the bottom of the piece and the offset bowl didn't meet down under. As things turned out there was plenty of room to spare ... about ΒΌ inch.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    Bill Boehme's Album
    Uploaded By:
    Bill Boehme
    Date:
    Jun 21, 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    278.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1368px
    Height:
    912px
    Aperture:
    f/16.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 7D Mark II
    Date / Time:
    2016:04:28 16:34:44
    Exposure Time:
    10/1 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    200 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).

• Maple sphere and off axis platter. Figured maple colored with TransTint dyes. Lacquer finish.