1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice
Mark Hepburn

Rose Pond

Made for my beloved for Christmas. I now realize that the upper portion is a bit chunky and doesn't quite have the concave sweep that I meant it to have (don't know why I didn't see it at the time). The roses are cut short and float in a pool of water. As they open up, they sort of force themselves up and out of the "pond". Spalted tamarind and walnut; two of her favorite woods. exterior is spar poly and interior is a two-part epoxy that I allowed to drop over the undercut rim to simulate a dripping look like water is flowing over the edges. A couple of years ago I did a music box with the same woods in a similar style so this is sort of a companion piece. Critiques are invited and appreciated.

Rose Pond
Mark Hepburn, Dec 29, 2017
    • Martin Groneng
      How could one criticise such a "superb classy" creation as this, Mark! What a lucky "beloved".
    • Mark Hepburn
      Martin, thanks very, very much! Happy New Year!
    • Martin Groneng
      The only time I would come across such a piece of wood, north of the 49th, as this tamarind would be in an old large spalted hard maple and then the chances are it would be quite punky.
    • Mark Hepburn
      @Martin Groneng

This was close to punky in places. The bottom pieces were which is why I segmented the base. I got lucky on the upper portion
    • Lamar Wright
      Hi Mark, beautiful flower vase, really like the spalted tamarind. By the way, my wife said it was beautiful as well and that she did not think the top was too chunky !! lol
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      odie
      What a beautiful piece Mark!
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Bill Boehme
      Beautiful vase, Mark. I'm always impressed by your creativity. I still haven't found the "clunky" that you mentioned.
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Breck Whitworth
      Just Simply Beautiful Mark!
    • Mark Hepburn
      Bill, Breck, Odie, Lamar, many thanks for your kind words. I look at the work you guys do and am always humbled by it.
    • Martin Groneng
      Mark, from the comments on this "beautiful piece", some pieces in the gallery come out of the gates a blaring, this piece came out with trumpets and drums in full blast! Just exceptional and stand proud!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    Mark Hepburn
    Date:
    Dec 29, 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1920px
    Height:
    1239px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).